“Each person has a different intellectual composition.”
– Howard Gardner
Frames of Mind (1983)
Through the years, the definition on what intelligence is has been on a broader scope. Human competencies are now based on more diverse combination of traditional and non-traditional intelligence including interpersonal, intrapersonal, musical, spatial, and kinesthetic that were long overlooked. Educational institutions especially international schools in the Philippines should find ways on how to apply these multiple intelligences in the classroom.
There are advantages perceived to be connected with enrolling in an international school and we listed some below.
- The Existential Intelligence group is sensitive and capable to tackle deep questions about human existence, such as the meaning of life, why we die, and how we got here.
- Students with Intrapersonal Intelligence are those with the capacity to be aware regarding what they feel and believe, the values they have, and their overall thinking process. Activities wherein they can excel are individual projects which may include reflections and research.
- The group which has Interpersonal Intelligence is capable to detect and respond appropriately to the moods, motivations and desires of others. They develop cooperative learning skills as they solve problems, answer questions, create learning games, brainstorm ideas and discuss that day’s topic collaboratively.
- Those who have Kinesthetic Intelligence learn best through physical activities which includes dances and dramatizations about the subject matter. With these, they develop their ability to control one’s bodily movements skillfully.
- The group with Logical/ Mathematical Intelligence logically approach learnings with science experiments, mathematical ideas and problem solving, and deductive reasoning that develop their ability to think not only conceptually but also abstractly.
- Students who have Musical Intelligence have the ability to produce and appreciate rhythm, pitch and timber. They tend to learn and express themselves more by rhythmical ways like composing and singing songs about different topics.
- Students with Naturalist Intelligence have innate desire to explore and nurture the environment they are living in, tend to have the ability to recognize and appreciate plants, animals and other objects in nature.
- The group of students with Spatial Intelligence, with their capability to accurately visualize images and illustrations, makes them more likely to explore a subject area using variety of medium like puzzles, charts, visual, and arts and crafts.
- n the Verbal/Linguistic Intelligence group, reading and writing enables them to have well-developed verbal skills and sensitivity to the sounds, meanings and rhythms of words. They are strong in using words both writing and speaking.
Leave a Reply